Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Crossover Benefits of CrossFit

I haven't run in 2 weeks. I take that back, I haven't done a long run in 2 weeks. I've done a couple short, 1/4 mile runs, as part of CrossFit workouts. But not a long run. The past 2 weeks have been spent CrossFitting and strength training.

Today I ran 5k in 27:38. My best 5k time is 26:48 -- during a race. I nearly hit my race time PR. Considering that I haven't really ran in 2 weeks, I was quite surprised by the time. I expected to be slow, miserably slow. I expected to hate every minute of it, really hate it. But I wasn't slow, and I didn't hate it. In fact, it really felt good, and I found myself pushing for that time.

The past 2 weeks have been spent CrossFitting -- training my mental toughness -- my ability to mentally push myself when I don't think I can push any more. Training my metcon -- my lungs ability to do more in less time. Training my strength -- my muscles ability to better utilize their fibers.

And in 2 weeks of CrossFitting, and no running, I have seen better performance in my run, although I have not trained my run. I attribute this to the crossover benefits of CrossFit. Training my mind and my different energy systems through CrossFit has benefited other activities.

No comments: