Sunday, July 5, 2009

Paleo - Week 6 and Counting

So, it's been about 6 weeks since I started the Paleo diet. Also known as the caveman diet. Eating like the cavemen did. Lean meats, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and fruit. All broken down to essential proteins, carbs and fat. No starch, no sugar, no legumes, no grains. That means no pasta, no bread, no deserts, no beans, no peanuts, no cereal, no sodas. If it is processed, the cavemen didn't eat it. If it needs to be processed to be eaten, the cavemen didn't eat it.

There have been several noticeable changes:
  1. Energy level - Prior to starting to eat Paleo I was going to sleep around 9pm, sometimes earlier, if you can believe it. but my day starts just before 5am, and some days even earlier. So 9pm was reasonable. Paleo has given me more energy to stay awake longer. I now find that I am up until 10 to 11pm, sometimes making myself go to sleep because the next day will be starting soon.
  2. Energy level part 2 - I have noticed an increase in my energy levels during my workouts. My ability to continue when previously I may have slowed down to a little rest. My ability to recover more quickly after the workout.
  3. Weight loss - while I wasn't looking for weight loss, I have lost quite a bit of weight. The other day I was told I was "lean". That word has never been used to describe me. Lean. My body is using my fat stores to produce energy to make more muscle. The muscle is more visible due to the elimination of the layer(s) of fat. Nice.
  4. Health - I have not even come close to getting sick, catching a cold, having a runny nose, etc. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the Paleo diet has made this happen, it could just be a coincidence. But I have never felt healthier.
  5. Strength - A combination of diet and exercise has made me stronger. I can't say that it is only the diet, because I have also been training. But I have been eating appropriately for the level of training I am doing. I am using the proteins, carbs and fat that I am eating, when I need it, and as I need it.
  6. Attitude - Because I feel great, my attitude has been great. I have been very even tempered, not fluctuating in mood as much as previously. This has been a great side benefit for my family.
  7. Because I am eating better, my family is eating better. I don't know if they notice changes as I do. They are only eating the foods I feed them, when we eat as a family. They still eat grains and sugars, and other non-Paleo foods. But maybe one day i can get the to come around. Right...

Paleo resources:

  1. Loren Cordain - The Paleo Diet
  2. Robb Wolf
  3. Basic shopping list

A friend and her daughter just started a couple of weeks ago. they are starting to see changes already.

How about it? Interested in learning more? Perhaps starting?? Go for it, it's easier than you think.

No comments: